Hot Buttered Rum is incredibly easy to whip up, and it’s warm, comforting, and cozy! Made with rum, hot water, butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Perfect for festive holidays and cold winter nights.
Did you know you can make Hot Buttered Rum at home in a flash with only a few ingredients? I’d been curious about this drink for awhile – I feel like it’s always mentioned in Christmas songs + movies, but I didn’t know anything about it. Lo and behold, it’s super easy to make!
All you need is rum, butter, brown sugar, some spices, and water. Really – that’s it!
How to Make Hot Buttered Rum:
First, get your water heating in a pot. Next, cream together the butter, sugar, and spices with an electric mixer. Add the butter mixture and rum to the hot water and stir it all together. That’s it!
This is a great way to make + serve this drink for a party or New Year’s Eve. If you only want to make a glass or two at a time, though, you can just heat enough water for the number of drinks you want, add a portion of the rum to each, and a portion of the butter mixture to each. The remaining butter mixture can be stored in the fridge for a couple weeks, and portioned out as desired!
Here’s to drinking warm, cozy things all winter long – not just for New Year’s! Oh – and you can make these even more festive by serving with some cinnamon sticks. Because the festive-r the better. (I know that’s not a word, I tried, hah.)
Happy New Year! Here’s to all the delicious things we’ll make and eat together in the New Year.
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo and leave a comment below!
Homemade Hot Buttered Rum
- 3/4 cup rum
- 2 to 2 and 1/4 cups water
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- Prep: Heat the water in a medium saucepan on the stove.
- Make the Butter Mixture: In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and spices.
- Combine: Reduce the heat to medium-low once the water is nice and hot (you don't want the drink to boil or the alcohol will cook off) and stir in the butter mixture and rum.
- Serve: Enjoy immediately!
- To Make Just One Drink: If you just want to make a glass or two at a time, heat up 5-6 ounces of water for each drink, add 1-2 ounce of rum, and 1/4 of the butter mixture per drink. Store the leftover butter mixture in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- To Serve a Larger Crowd: You can double or triple this recipe. Just put it in a larger pot on the stove or in a slow cooker to keep it warm. You can always adjust the sugar/spices and amount of rum to taste, too.
Order my new book: