Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup is the perfect thing to make for a quick weeknight dinner! It comes together quickly, pairs wonderfully with warm crusty rolls, and is the most comforting cold-weather food!
Thanks to our friends at Rhodes Bake-N-Serv for sponsoring this recipe! All opinions are my own.
The cherry on top of this meal, is of course, the bread! You can’t eat soup without bread, and the Warm & Serve Artisan French Rolls from Rhodes are SO good! They don’t require any work or thawing – just pop them in the oven for about 8 minutes, and serve alongside this creamy soup. I love keeping these on hand in the freezer for nights when we’re short on time.
This soup comes together SO quickly! First, add onion, broccoli florets, garlic, salt + pepper, shredded carrot, and broth to your instant pot. Cook for 1 minute on manual/high pressure. It will take a bit more than 1 minute to actually cook since it has to build to pressure, but while that’s running you can get your rolls in the oven and work on the last part of the soup!
To make the creamy base of the soup, melt butter in a pan on the stovetop and whisk in flour, then milk and heavy cream. Cook this until it thickens, then add it to the instant pot once it’s done cooking, and stir it in!
Lastly, grate the cheese and stir it in, a few handfuls at a time so it all melts nice + smooth.
Serve alongside those rolls we popped in the oven earlier, and you can even make 1-2 of them into croutons to top your soup with! Just cube the baked roll, and sautee it in a pan on the stovetop with a generous drizzle of olive oil, until golden brown and crispy.
And, dig in! You’re sure to add this soup to your winter rotation – I just know it. It’s easy, hearty, satisfying – and those crunch croutons on top are perfection! Happy cooking.
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo and leave a comment!
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
For the Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded carrots buy them in a bag of "matchstick" carrots
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp flour
- 2 cups half and half Can use 1 cup milk and 1 cup heavy cream, too
- 10 - 13 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 bag Rhodes Warm & Serve Artisan French Rolls
- extra cheese, croutons (see note in recipe below), or bacon
- Get the Soup Started: Set your instant pot to 'sauté" and add the olive oil and diced onion. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes, until softened and transluscent. Add the garlic and sauté another 30 seconds. Add the broccoli, carrots, broth, and the salt and pepper. Set your instant pot to high pressure and cook for 1 minute (yes, 1) on manual. It will take a little bit to come to pressure, so this will take more than 1 minute. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make the Cream Base for the Soup: While the soup cooks, add the butter to a medium/large saucepan over medium heat and melt. Once it's melted, whisk in the flour, and cook, whisking constantly for 4 minutes to cook the raw flour taste out. Slowly whisk in the milk or half and half next. Simmer for 8 minutes, whisking, until it's thickened up quite a bit (it should coat the back of a spoon easily). Turn off the heat and set this aside if your soup isn't done in the instant pot yet. If it is done, let the pressure release on it's own or release it manually (and carefully!). Stir this mixture in to the pot. Set the pot to "saute" and stir the mixture as it simmers for about 8 more minutes. This will thicken the soup. Turn the pot off after this. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Bake the Rolls: Bake the rolls according to package directions - place them on an unlined baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Finish the Soup: While the rolls bake, grate your cheese and add it, a few handfuls at a time, to the soup, stirring well to melt it in. If desired, use 1-2 of the rolls to make croutons to top the soup. Cube the rolls and toss in a pan over medium heat with a generous drizzle of olive oil. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp and golden brown!
- Serve + Store: Serve the soup with croutons, cheese, bacon, and the french rolls! Store leftover rolls in a container at room temp for a few days. Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Order my new book: