This Rhubarb Torte is made with a simple shortbread base, a layer of silky rhubarb filling, and topped with a light, fluffy meringue. This whole dessert is sheer springtime perfection!
Rhubarb Torte is a staple treat of spring in my family! It’s the perfect dessert for picnics, potlucks, and Memorial Day weekend! The meringue layer is light and fluffy and gets toasted in the oven until it has a lightly crisp layer on top.
How to Make Rhubarb Torte:
Press the shortbread crust – a simple mixture of butter, flour, and sugar – into an even layer in a greased pan. Pop this in the oven to bake while you get started on the filling!
Add your chopped rhubarb to a saucepan (you can use fresh or frozen – I used frozen this time!), along with egg yolks, sugar, flour, and vanilla. Cook this mixture, stirring, for about 20 minutes. It will thicken up and the rhubarb will be nice and tender!
Pour this mixture over your baked crust – it’s totally find to do this while either or both components are still warm.
Lastly, mix up your meringue! This is a simple step that requires you to beat egg whites in a bowl with sugar and cream of tartar, until you have a thick, glossy mixture. It’s ready when you can lift your mixer (not while it’s running, of course) straight up and stiff peaks form and hold their shape in the bowl.
Swirl the meringue over the filling, and bake it in the oven until lightly browned. This will take about 30 minutes. This dessert needs some time to cool and set up before being served. so I recommend making it the day ahead! Let it cool at room temp, then cover and chill in the fridge overnight until ready to serve.
Make sure to grab some rhubarb next time you’re at the store so you can give this recipe a try!
More Rhubarb Recipes to Love:
Rhubarb Upside Down Cake – A luscious layer of rhubarb on top, and a surprise crumble layer on the bottom!
Strawberry Rhubarb Hand Pies – Use that Strawberry Rhubarb sauce to fill these buttery, flaky, portable pies.
Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce – A 15-minute wonder! Spoon it over ice cream, use it to fill those hand pies, and have it on your morning toast.
Best-Ever Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble– juicy, easy, and FULL of delicious flavor! You won’t want to share this one.
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo and leave a comment!
Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Torte
For the Shortbread Crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 TBSP granulated or cane sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened 8 TBSP or 1 stick
- 1 TBSP milk
- 2 and 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb fresh or frozen - no need to thaw if frozen
- 1 cup + 1 TBSP granulated or cane sugar
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 2 TBSP all-purpose flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 6 TBSP granulated or cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Prep: Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray and preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Make crust: Cream softened butter in a medium mixing bowl. Add remaining crust ingredients and mix until well combined. Mixture may be a bit crumbly, but that's ok - it's a shortbread. Press it evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Leave the oven on - you'll need it in a bit for the meringue.
- Make Filling: Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 20-22 minutes, until sauce is thickened and rhubarb pieces are tender. Pour this over the prepared crust.
- Make the Topping: Make sure your bowl and beaters are completely clean and dry before beginning, or the meringue won't turn out. Beat egg whites until they are starting to stiffen. Stop mixing, and add sugar and cream of tartar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form when you lift the mixer (not while it's running) straight out of the bowl and stiff peaks form and hold their shape. Spread this over the rhubarb filling, and bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Chill: Let the Rhubarb Torte cool at room temp, and chill in the fridge (covered) for at least 2 hours before serving, or up to overnight. This is a great make-ahead dessert!
- Serve: Slice and serve cold! Leftovers keep well in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Order my new book: