This hearty salad is made with filling, wholesome ingredients like white-wine infused wild rice, shaved brussels sprouts, sweet dried cranberries, crunchy pecans, salted pepitas, and parmesan. Top it off with the most flavorful, creamy 5-minute White Wine Maple Vinaigrette. You’re sure to make this delicious salad again and again!
This post is sponsored by our friends at Holland House®. All opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that make Blue Bowl possible!
This salad makes for a wonderful vegetarian lunch or a quick side dish to serve alongside your holiday meals. Making it couldn’t be easier – let’s walk through it!
How to Make Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad:
Start with shaved brussels sprouts as your salad base – you can purchase them already shaved to save a lottt of time. Then, add cooked wild rice, salty pepitas, dried cranberries (either unsweetened or sweetened – it’s up to you), and chopped pecans.
To add extra flavor into the dish before we even get to the dressing, we’re cooking our wild rice not just with plain water, but with a mix of water and Holland House White Cooking Wine. It infuses so much flavor into the rice!
How to Make Maple Vinaigrette:
This dressing is made from flavorful ingredients – most of which you likely already have on hand! Add olive oil, maple syrup, fresh thyme, salt and pepper, water, a splash of honey mustard and Holland House Organic White Wine Vinegar. That’s the secret ingredient! It adds a crisp, bold flavor to the salad dressing, which is complimented by the white wine-infused rice. It’s such an easy way to elevate your homemade dressing that doesn’t add any extra work. Blend everything up in a food processor or use an immersion blender.
Can I make the salad dressing ahead?
Yes! You can make it 2-3 days ahead, and store it in a jar in the fridge. I don’t recommend dressing the salad until you’re ready to serve it, however.
Pour the dressing over your salad when ready to serve, and toss everything together to get it coated in that delicious, creamy dressing. Pro tip – make a double batch of the dressing and keep any extra on hand for other quick salads and lunches throughout the month!
Can I make substitutions in this salad?
Sure thing! You can swap the brussels sprouts base for your favorite type of greens – kale, lettuce, spinach, etc. You can also swap the pecans for walnuts, or leave them out entirely if you need a nut-free salad. The dried cranberries could also be swapped out for diced apples or pomegranate arils. For the wild rice, I used a purple variety, but you can use whatever wild rice you normally have. Make this salad your own – that’s one of the beautiful parts of this recipe!
The most important part is the maple vinaigrette and our secret ingredient from Holland House – their Organic White Wine Vinegar. It’s delicious on this salad, however you decide to customize it!
More Salads to Love:
Winter Salad with Pears and Pomegranates – Made with greens, pomegranates, pears, and oranges – finish it off with walnuts, feta cheese, and a delicious 4 ingredient dressing!
Classic Taco Salad – This salad is loaded up with crisp lettuce, taco-seasoned beef, fresh corn, bright cherry tomatoes, zippy red onion, avocado slices, black beans, and a cilantro lime dressing.
Classic Cobb Salad – This classic cobb salad is made with cherry tomatoes, lettuce, bacon, avocado, chicken, hard boiled eggs, and a little feta cheese!
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo and leave a comment below!
Be sure to follow bluebowlrecipes on instagram and tag @bluebowlrecipes with your photo – I’d love to see what you make! And, be sure to leave a comment + rating below if you make this recipe.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Wild Rice Salad with White Wine Maple Vinaigrette
- 7 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Holland House Organic White Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- a pinch of salt + pepper
- 2 tbsp honey mustard
For the Salad
- 18 ounces shaved brussels sprouts See note
- 1/2 cup wild rice use any variety you enjoy
- 3 tbsp Holland House White Cooking Wine
- 2/3 cup salted pepitas
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Make the Dressing: Remove the thyme leaves from the stems as best you can/ Add all dressing ingredients to a food processor or immersion blender, and pulse until everything is well combined and creamy. If you don't have either of these appliances, finely chop the thyme by hand, then add it and the rest of the ingredients to a jar. With the lid tightly sealed, shake well until everything is combined.
- Cook the Wild Rice: Cook the wild rice according to package directions, substituting 1/3 of the quantity of cooking water listed for Holland House White Cooking Wine. In my case, I needed 10 tablespoons of water, so I used roughly 3 tablespoons of the White Cooking Wine, and 7 tablespoons of water.
- Assemble the Salad: Add the brussels sprouts to your salad bowl, then add the rest of the ingredients. Toss with the dressing when ready to serve.
- Serve + Store: Serve immediately! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. Store leftover dressing in a jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Make-Ahead Tips: I don't recommend making the salad ahead, to keep everything nice and fresh, but you can make the dressing 2-3 days ahead and store it in the fridge in a jar. Shake before using.
Order my new book: