Asparagus Tarts are the easiest appetizer or side that you’ll ever whip up! Made with store-bought puff pastry, fresh asparagus, bacon, and lots of cheese! It’s a flavor explosion of sweet, smoky bacon, asparagus, melty cheese, and crisp puff pastry.
It’s April 1st (no I’m not going to prank you) so it’s appropriate to start planning for Easter, right? It’s a lovely, chilly, windy day here in Madison but that’s not stopping me from putting out some bright, pastel candles and eggs! Warm weather is just around the corner – I can feel it!
So – back to Easter. I LOVE planning for holiday meals. Those of you who know me probably aren’t surprised by this. I’m a planner and a foodie so holidays that involve food are just the best! And food that is EASY and DELICIOUS is also the BEST! Enter these Asparagus Tarts.
How to Make Asparagus Tarts
Let’s walk through this.
Step 1 – Make puff pastry from scratch KIDDING, KIDDING. I would never do that. Real Step 1 – run to the store and BUY puff pastry because we cannot all be Martha Stewart.
One package of puff pastry yields 8 of these yummy little tarts. We’re cutting each sheet into 4 pieces, and topping them with olive oil, shredded gruyere and fontina cheese, and crisp, smoky bacon.
Add your halved asparagus stalks and give them a hefty sprinkle of pepper – LOOK AWAY GRANT – (he strongly dislikes pepper) – and pop them in the oven for 25 minutes.
See? I told you they were easy. And as for delicious, I unfortunately don’t think the technology exists for me to give you a taste test through the screen of my computer so you’ll just have to make them and find out for yourself!
Just think how lovely these will look on your Easter table. And, you can even tell people you made the puff pastry yourself – I won’t tell your secret! ?
Happy Cooking and Happy April!
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo and leave a comment!
Be sure to follow bluebowlrecipes on instagram and tag #bluebowlrecipes with your photo! You can also post a photo of your recipe to the bluebowlrecipes Facebook page. I’d love to see what you make!
Asparagus Tarts with Bacon and Gruyere
- 1 package puff pastry store-bought
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 package bacon
- 8 ounce block gruyere cheese
- 8 ounce block fontina cheese
- 1 pound fresh asparagus try to buy a bunch with thinner pieces
- Prep: Thaw puff pastry according to package directions. Cook bacon according to package directions - we love doing it in the oven so we can prep the other ingredients while it cooks! When it's done, lay the pieces on a paper-towel lined plate to soak off excess grease. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Grate your cheese. Beat the egg in a bowl - this will be your egg wash. Rinse your asparagus, and cut the white part off of the ends. Cut the stalks in half.
- Assemble the Tarts: Roll out 1 sheet of the thawed puff pastry on a lightly floured counter until you've just stretched it an extra inch or so (mine were 10 by 11 ish). Cut into 4 squares. Place each square on prepared baking sheet. Brush with a little olive oil, then brush the edges of each piece well with egg wash. This helps them to turn a nice golden brown in the oven. Sprinkle each tart with a handful or two of cheese, add a few half pieces of bacon, a few stalks of asparagus, and sprinkle the whole thing with pepper, if desired. Repeat with the remaining sheet of puff pastry.
- Bake: Bake for 22-27 minutes, or until asparagus is tender and puff pastry is golden brown.
- Serve + Store: Enjoy immediately! Store leftovers, tightly covered, in the fridge for 2-3 days. These are best fresh, though. The puff pastry loses it's crispness after a day or so.
Order my new book:
Leave a Reply