I’m jumping on the Instant Pot bandwagon (affiliate link), and I’m not one bit sorry about it.
Why’s that? I was able to make this for dinner in just 15 minutes. Whattttttt? It’s healthy, delicious, picky-eater-approved, and most importantly, FAST.
For those of you who are a little intimidated by the Instant Pot – like I was – don’t be! It’s seriously easy to use. Plug it in, add the chicken breasts + salsa + some water, push a few buttons and BAM. Dinner is ready.
This recipe is super easy (like, 2 ingredient easy) and you can totally customize this by using your favorite salsa.
I used Trader Joe’s Fall Harvest Salsa because I am obsessed with all things fall + because it’s delicious.
Yep – that’s literally all this takes. Chicken. Salsa. Water. 15 minutes. No spices required – it’s full of flavor with just two ingredients! I hope this helps make stressful weeknight dinners a thing of the past.
Fun fact about this recipe: my husband actually made this for me quite a bit back when we were dating. I just decided to convert it for the instant pot.
So, thanks for this one Grant!
If you want to add a ‘lil extra something, this pairs deliciously with rice (we used jasmine rice) and some homemade naan bread. You won’t regret that combo.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 jar of your favorite salsa
- ½ cup of water
- Follow any instructions on your Instant Pot before using (making sure the seal is in place on the lid, etc.).
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the pot (make sure you DON'T cook anything inside the pot itself - use the metal insert that comes with it, as the directions say).
- Pour the jar of salsa over the chicken and then pour in the water. Close the lid properly and chose the "manual" setting on the outside of the pot. Set the timer to 15 minutes.
- It will take a few minutes for the Instant Pot to build pressure, and once it's pressurized the timer will start counting down. When it's done, let the steam release naturally (I usually leave it alone for about 5 minutes and then quick release the rest of the steam.) You MUST do this before taking the lid off the pot.
- Once steam is released, remove the lid and shred the chicken inside the pot. Serve over rice, in lettuce cups, or as tacos!
- *NOTE* - If you don't have an instant pot, you can still make this! Spray a glass baking dish with cooking spray and add chicken breasts. Pour salsa over chicken. Bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes.