Pizza night just got even more delicious! An easy homemade crust is the base for this pizza made with chicken, barbecue sauce, mozzarella and colby jack cheese, and red onion. This is what every weekend (and weeknight!) calls for.
This recipe was initially published in May of 2018 but I just updated it with new photos, our go-to homemade crust recipe, and better directions!
I hardly need to explain why pizza is our favorite. It’s pizza – enough said. But, this one is our FAVORITE because its simple to make and we almost always have the ingredients on hand. Yes. Yes. Yes. We cannot get enough of this.
It’s especially great in the summer when you still wanna cook at home, but you don’t really want to overheat the house by having the oven on for an hour – ya know? And, if you’re especially pinched for time, you can of course sub a pre-made crust. We love using Rhodes bread dough as pizza crust (not sponsored, although we do work with and love them!) and you can find ready-to-bake pizza crusts near the pizza sauce at most grocery stores.
How to Make Easy Homemade Pizza Crust
Let’s walk through this crust situation! Homemade pizza crust is SO easy to make – I’m confident anyone can do it!
First, we’re mixing yeast, sugar, and warm water together. Then, we’ll stir in flour, olive oil, and salt. Knead that a few times into a smooth ball and let it rise for 45 minutes.
Next, we’ll punch it down, flatten it out, and add our toppings! See? I told you it was easy! I think I could probably make this in my sleep by now – no joke! ?
Do NOT skip the step where you toss your chicken in barbecue sauce – it adds so much more flavor this way, and nobody wants a bland pizza. Trust me, we’ve learned the hard way.
Hungry for more pizza? Check out these other recipes!
Cast Iron Margherita Pizza – Have you ever made pizza in cast-iron? If not, um, you should try it ASAP because it’s so good.
Roasted Tomato, Corn, and Zucchini Flatbread Pizza – The most delicious pizza I know how to make! And, so easy!
Build Your Own Breakfast Pizzas – So fun for breakfast or dinner, and they use pre-made dough.
Grilled Flatbread Pizzas – Such a fun summer meal! Get out the grill and make yourself some pizza!
We make homemade pizza a lot in this house, if you can’t tell.
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo and leave a comment!
Our Favorite Barbecue Chicken Pizza
For the Crust
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 and 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 tsp salt
For the Toppings
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 1/2 cup your favorite cheese We love a mix of mozzarella and colby jack
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast, cubed
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced optional but I love adding some extra veg power!
- cilantro, optional garnish
- Make the dough: Measure warm water into a medium mixing bowl. Add the yeast and sugar - stir once, gently, with a whisk and let sit for 5 minutes. It should be foamy after time is up (see photo above in post). If it still looks like a bowl of water with granules of yeast everywhere, toss it and try again. Stir in the flour, olive oil, and salt. A shaggy dough will form. Knead it on a lightly floured counter for a few minutes, or until it smoothes out. Form into a ball, and place in a bowl sprayed with cooking spray (to prevent sticking). Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for 40-45 minutes. This is a good time to cook your chicken! Toss it in barbecue sauce when it's done cooking for more flavor - don't skip this step! We like to cook our chicken breast in the oven or in a pan on the stovetop, seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Assemble: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. The dough should have risen to about double it's original size (see photos in post above). Gently punch down the dough on your countertop and press it out (or use a rolling pin) until it's about 1/4" thick. Gently transfer to the lined pan.Spread the barbecue sauce evenly on the pizza crust. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the barbecue sauce, reserving some for the end. Evenly sprinkle the chicken breast, red onion, and green pepper over the pizza. Add a little more cheese on top.
- Bake: Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. Top with fresh cilantro (optional) and enjoy immediately!
- Store: Store leftovers, tightly covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Order my new book: