This pasta dish is one of our all-time favorite weeknight meals! It’s made with plenty of roasted bell peppers and tomatoes, with some getting blended into a sauce for extra heartiness. Toss your veggies and rigatoni together with plenty of sausage, sauce, and parmesan cheese for an easy and impressive dinner that everyone will love!
This post is sponsored by our friends at Oster. All opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that make Blue Bowl possible!
This pasta is incredibly easy to make and so versatile! It’s one of those recipes where you’ll make it once, and then you’ll be making it all the time, with your own little spins on it. Let’s walk through it!
How to Make Roasted Red Peppers + Burst Tomatoes
Start by adding bell pepper slices and cherry tomatoes to two baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss everything to get it well coated, then roast in a 450 degree oven until everything is nice and tender!
How to make Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Sauce:
Use one pan of the veggies for your sauce, reserving the other to stir into the pasta dish. To add extra flavor, we’re blending this up with a splash of olive oil, a little fresh basil, and some fresh garlic.
Pop everything, including the peppers and tomatoes, into the new Oster® 3-in-1 Kitchen System with Texture Select Settings. The extra-large stainless steel blade makes blending up roasted veggies like this a breeze – it prevents jamming and blends everything so smoothly!
Assemble your pasta dish:
Finally, add everything together! Start by adding your blended sauce to the pot, then add your cooked rigatoni, sausage, parmesan cheese, and the rest of the roasted peppers and burst tomatoes. Stir everything together, adding a splash of heavy cream to create a delicious, saucy pasta.
This pasta dish is so versatile, and is great for meal prep! It comes together quickly, and makes a large quantity – perfect for desk lunches you’ll look forward to all week. And, you can swap in other veggies to fit your preferences, too. We love swapping the bell peppers for zucchini when it’s zucchini season!
Snag your own Oster 3-in-1 Kitchen System with Texture Select Settings here!
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo and leave a comment!
Be sure to follow bluebowlrecipes on instagram and tag @bluebowlrecipes with your photo – I’d love to see what you make! And, be sure to leave a comment + rating below if you make this recipe.
Rigatoni With Roasted Peppers, Burst Tomatoes, And Sausage
For the Roasted Peppers & Tomatoes
- 20 ounces cherry tomatoes, divided Two, 1 pint packages
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 3 large green bell peppers
- olive oil
For the rest of the Pasta:
- 1 lb ground pork or italian sausage
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
For the Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
For finishing the Pasta
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 cups garlic basil pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, optional You can omit this - or you can also use half and half.
- Roast your Peppers & Tomatoes: Preheat your oven to 450° F. Slice the bell peppers into thin strips. Place the red peppers on one baking sheet with half the tomatoes, and place the green on a second baking sheet with the remaining tomatoes. Drizzle each with olive oil, and give a good sprinkle of salt and pepper. Toss with clean hands to combine everything. Pop into the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes, stirring everything halfway through.
- Cook the Sausage: While the veggies roast, cook your sausage in a skillet. I like to let it get really deeply browned and crispy on the outside, but cook it however you like it. Drain the grease and pop the meat onto a paper-towel lined plate to rest.
- Cook the Pasta: Bring a large dutch oven full of water to a boil. Add a few shakes of salt. Add the rigatoni, and cook as directed on the package. Once it's done, reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water, and drain the pasta.
- Make the Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Sauce: While the pasta cooks, transfer the pan with the red peppers and tomatoes to the food processor cup of your Oster® 3-in-1 Kitchen System with Texture Select Settings. Add the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and basil. Pulse on medium until you have a nice thick sauce.
- Finish the Pasta: Add the roasted red pepper sauce to the now empty dutch oven we used for the pasta. Heat over medium for a few minutes, stirring, just to get the raw garlic flavor out. Then, add the sausage, cooked pasta, veggies, pasta sauce, and parmesan. Stir everything together over medium low heat. Add a splash of heavy cream or reserved pasta water as desired to get things nice and saucy. Taste and add any extra seasoning or more heavy cream or parmesan as desired.
- Serve + Store: Serve immediately! Add an extra sprinkle of parmesan on top. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-6 days.
Order my new book: