This pasta dish is saucy, creamy, and bursting with fall flavors! It’s made with a cheesy butternut squash sauce, butter, garlic, sage, thyme – and it’s all topped off with perfectly crisp and smoky pancetta! It’s a fall dreamboat dinner!
This recipe is sponsored by Citterio USA! Thanks for supporting the brands that make Blue Bowl possible. All opinions are my own.
Are you ready for the fall meal to end all fall meals?? I knew you would say yes! Let’s walk this recipe through. It’s simple but SO packed full of incredible flavors and textures.
First up, we’re going to crisp up our Smoked Pancetta from Citterio USA – it’s pre chopped (hellooo, ease!) and the flavor is out of this world! Add it to a pan and cook for a few minutes, until it darkens and crisps up. Set that aside and add a little butter to the juices left in the pot from the pancetta (flavor partyy!).
Then, we’re going to get our onions and garlic sautéing with some fresh herbs for added flavor! This is the start of our sauce. Next, add the butternut squash + broth, and let it simmer until the squash is tender enough to blend up into a sauce!
Once that’s cooked, blend it up with some milk, return it to the stovetop, and stir in your cheese! It’s a thick, rich, creamy sauce that you’ll want to drink straight from the pot!
Cook up the pasta of your choice, and stir it into that creamy dreamy sauce. And, the final step – dish up your pasta with plenty of our smoky pancetta on top!
I know you’ll fall in love with this easy pasta like we have – get ready to make it on repeat, all season long! Happy cooking, friends!
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo + leave a comment!
Butternut Squash Pasta with Pancetta
- 2 packages Citterio Smoked Pancetta
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- few sprigs fresh sage + thyme
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 and 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 and 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 and 1/2 cups gouda cheese, grated 6 ounces
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 lb pasta of your choice
- more parmesan, for topping
- Cook the Pancetta: Add two packages of Citterio Smoked Pancetta to a large dutch oven over medium low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp. (About 5-6 minutes - see photos above for reference of what it looks like once cooked!). Spoon the pancetta onto a paper towel-lined plate to drain. No need to clean out the pan - we want some of that smoky flavor for our sauce!
- Make the Butternut Squash Sauce: Add the butter to the same dutch oven, and melt over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and a few sprigs of fresh thyme and sage. Sautee, stirring, until the onion is softened and translucent. Add the broth, butternut squash, the dried sage & thyme, and the salt & pepper. Bring this mixture to a boil. Once the pot is boiling, reduce the heat to low and let everything simmer for 10-16 minutes. Check that the squash is tender enough to blend by poking it with a fork or knife - it should pierce easily. Discard the herb sprigs. Transfer this mixture to a blender and add the milk. Blend until smooth and creamy. Return to the pot, over medium heat. This is a good time to get your pasta cooking!Add your cheese, a few handfuls at a time, and stir between each to help it melt into the sauce. Taste and add any extra seasoning as desired.
- Put it all Together: Reserve a bit of pasta water, and drain the pasta - don't rinse it. Add the drained pasta into the pot of sauce, and stir to get it all coated up! Add a little pasta water if needed to thin the sauce out a smidge so it can coat the pasta easily.
- Serve + Store: Serve with plenty of pancetta and a sprinkle of parmesan on top! This pasta is best the first day, but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat with a little milk to help loosen the sauce back up.
Order my new book: