These Insanely Good Pear Crumble Bars have a simple crumble base that doubles as the topping – with a layer of fresh pears and 30-second microwave caramel sauce nestled in the middle. Fall perfection!
Let’s give pears some love. Seriously – they’re the unsung hero of fall. Just as tasty and versatile as the apple or pumpkin, but much less celebrated.
I fell in love with pears after buying some from a local apple orchard one fall, a few years ago. OH. MY. WORD. If you can get your hands on local pears, do it do it do it. (It may be a bit late in the season though, depending where you live). To be fair, I bought these pairs from the grocery store and they worked just fine.
Now that I’m done rambling about my love of pears, let’s talk about these bars. It’s like a dessert bar and an apple crisp had a baby, and that baby was a pear instead of an apple.
And that pear was actually a few pears, sliced paper thin and nestled between a soft brown sugar crust and a homemade caramel sauce – with more crumbly crust sprinkled on top.
Oh, about that homemade caramel sauce. Are you thinking complicated, much lady? Don’t worry – it’s just a 30-second microwave-miracle caramel sauce. No big deal or anything.
Are you drooling yet? Are you ready to embrace pears? Get to it! ? ❤️ Happy fall + happy baking!
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo and leave a comment!
Insanely Good Pear Crumble Bars
For the Crust + Crumble Topping
- 1 stick + 3 tbsp salted butter 11 tbsp total
- 2/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Filling
- 3 medium pears thinly sliced
- 4 tsp heavy cream
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan or baking sheet with parchment paper or grease well with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Make the crust + topping: Soften the butter in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Add brown sugar and mix until creamed. Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix until a crumbly dough forms. Set aside a cup full of the mixture for the topping. Press the rest of the mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Make the filling: While the crust bakes, prep the filling. Thinly slice the pears.To make the caramel sauce, combine the heavy cream, sugars and butter in a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth.When the crust is done baking, lay the the pear slices over the crust in an even layer (overlap is ok). Pour the caramel over the pears, and sprinkle the reserved crumble mixture over the top.
- Bake: Bake for 22-25 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Serve + Store: Let cool slightly before slicing and eating. Store leftovers (hah!) in an airtight container at room temp for up to 3 days. These bars are best the first day, though.
This post was originally published in October of 2017. I updated it this week and gave it new photos!
Order my new book: