Hellooo breakfast tacos! I love tacos. Lately, I’ve been making tacos with absolutely anything and everything we have in the kitchen.
Random leftover meat? Check. Copious amounts of cheese? Check. Random veggies that are left in the bottom of the veggie drawer? Check. Salsa? YES.
My taco-obsession is R-E-A-L.
You know those days when there’s not really any food left in the fridge – well, not any prepared food that is – and you’re superrrr hungry but not really in the mood to cook?
That’s exactly how these breakfast tacos came into existence. The fridge was running on empty, I had a little kale left in the veggie drawer, a few eggs, half a jar of salsa, and some corn tortillas.
Scrambled egg + kale + fire-roasted salsa in a corn tortilla = BREAKFAST TACOS.
Yes – one of the best accidents to ever happen in my kitchen. The best part? Grant LOVED them and ate 4 in one sitting! Even though they were loaded with kale! What is even happening right now?!?
If you’re a kale skeptic, let this be a lesson to you – tacos. are. magic.
(Grant had to add meat to his, in typical Grant fashion, but you win some you lose some, right??)
Oh, and when I re-made them for this blog post, I obviously added copious amounts of cheese because 1) we live in Wisconsin and 2) how could we not??
Our cheese drawer in the fridge is one thing that’s never empty, even when the rest of the fridge is.
I like feta cheese, and that’s what I used here but you could use any type – Cotija cheese would be yummy too! And, it has that great crumbly texture like feta.
Here’s a little tip for your scrambled eggs – cook them slowly on low heat. It makes for the BEST eggs. If you don’t like scrambled eggs, try this with a fried egg!
I have been having a moment with fried eggs lately and they are goooooddd.
For your salsa – any kind will work, but we especially love a fire-roasted tomato salsa that we found at Aldi! (not sponsored, we just like Aldi and that salsa!)
The important thing here, people, is that you are making and eating and loving these tacos.
As always, I’d love it if you post a photo using #bluebowlrecipes if you make this recipe!
Quick Breakfast Tacos
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- salt + pepper
- 1 generous handful kale I used curly kale
- salsa Fire-roasted is great!
- 2 corn tortillas
- feta or cotija cheese
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Crack your egg into a small bowl, add a splash of milk (if desired) and some salt and pepper, and whisk until combined. Cook your egg in the pan over medium heat, using a silicone spatula to gently push the egg around. Cook until desired consistency/done-ness is reached.
- Add the other tablespoon of olive oil and add the kale. Cook until wilted. I like to press it into the pan with the back of my spatula to sort of char it a bit and speed up the process.
- Warm your corn tortillas in the pan on high heat - you likely won't need to add any more oil, but add a drop if the pan is dry. Press down with the spatula to get those lovely brown spots on the tortillas.
- Assemble your tortillas - I like to put half the scrambled egg and half the cooked kale in each tortilla and top with a little more pepper, a generous spoonful of salsa, and cheese! Enjoy!
Order my new book: