Did you all know how easy rice krispie treats are to make? If not, I’m here to tell you that these brown butter rice krispie treats are SO easy to make!
These ones are made extra special because they have brown butter – making the name a bit longer, but the flavor, so much better!
If you’re not familiar with brown butter, you’re about make a new best friend.
It’s an essential cooking/baking trick to have in your back pocket. Brown butter is made by simply cooking your butter in a pan on the stove for a few minutes to bring out a richer taste – and an AMAZING aroma – I wish I could transmit the scent of brown butter to you via the internet. Maybe technology will make that happen someday??
I’ll keep my fingers crossed on that one.
In the meantime, you’ll just have to make it yourself to experience that intoxicating smell!
Even though we are taking a few extra minutes to brown the butter, these come together lickety-split. Perfect for all your snack/party/dessert emergency needs.
And, I’m sure that you, like me, have many emergency dessert needs.
Examples of Emergency Dessert Needs:
- At the last minute you discovered that your kid has to bring a treat to school
- There’s a bake sale coming up and you forgot that you signed up to bring something
- The HANGRY strikes (it happens)
- You’re craving a treat but don’t want to spend 30 minutes to an hour making something
- You’re STILL HANGRY
See, lots of reasons to make these bad boys!
You could even dress these up a little more if you want! Add a drizzle of melted chocolate to the top, add some sprinkles to the mixture before spreading it into the pan – or both!
This recipe makes 16 squares – enough to fill an 8×8 pan, but I’m happy to say that you can easily double this recipe to feed an even larger crowd, should the occasion call for it. I only used half the box of rice krispies – soooo you might as well double this because you’re going to need to find SOME way to use up the rest! ?
Welcome, to the dessert of your dreams! Brown butter rice krispie treats, we love you.
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo!
Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 stick + 3 TBS salted butter
- 4 1/2 cups 7.5 ounces mini marshmallows
- 4 1/2 cups rice krispie cereal
- Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray.
- In a nonstick pot or pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Turn the heat to medium-low and continue cooking the butter - stirring the whole time. The butter will get foamy, then turn golden, then start to turn brown and develop a nutty sort of aroma. Continue stirring constantly - scraping any little brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Once it reaches a dark brown color, remove from the heat and add the marshmallows. Stir quickly to melt the marshmallows and combine them with the butter. Add the rice krispies and stir.
- Press the mixture into the pan and allow to cool!
- NOTE: Store in an airtight container - not in the refrigerator.
Order my new book: