Chocolate Rice Krispies are thick and chewy, and full of rich chocolate flavor! These no-bake treats come together in just 20 minutes, with just 5 basic ingredients. Stir in extra chocolate chips and sprinkle flaky sea salt on top for a no-bake dessert chocolate lovers won’t be able to resist.
Classic cereal treats are upgraded in this easy chocolate version. Let’s make ’em!
Why you’ll love these Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats:
- Packed with Flavor & Texture – Each bite is full of gooey marshmallow, crunchy chocolate cereal, and chocolate chocolate chips and marshmallows. Classic rice krispie treats are upgraded with rich chocolate flavor!
- Easy Dessert – This easy recipe uses minimal ingredients and comes together in about 20 minutes! It’s easy enough for kids to help out with, too.
- Customizable – You can easily swap in other cereals, or make this recipe dairy-free or gluten-free!
As always, the full recipe with measurements & directions can be found in the recipe card below.
- Brown Butter – Browning the butter takes just a few extra minutes and adds so much flavor! It also adds a more nutty depth of flavor that compliments the chocolate perfectly. I always use salted buter for the best flavor, but feel free to use unsalted butter if you prefer.
- Marshmallows – Use mini marshmallows!
- Cocoa Krispies Cereal – You can find cocoa rice krispies cereal (or an off-brand version) at most grocery stores. See alternate cereal ideas below.
- Vanilla – Use real vanilla extract for best results.
- Salt – A pinch of salt also helps balance the sweetness!
- Dairy-free – Use your favorite dairy-free butter and chocolate chips to make this recipe dairy-free.
- Gluten-free – Use your favorite gluten free cereal to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Vegan – Use your favorite vegan marshmallows and dairy-free butter to make this recipe vegan.
- Brown Butter – You can skip this step if you like.
- Alternate Cereals – You can use regular rice krispies if you can’t find chocolate, or try another chocolate cereal like chocolate frosted flakes.
How to Make this Chocolate Rice Krispies Recipe Step-by-Step:
Step 1: Melt & Brown the Butter. Brown the Butter and Melt the Marshmallows. Melt the butter in a large pot, then continue cooking it, stirring lazily, for about 5 minutes or until it turns foamy and a deep golden brown color.
Step 2: Melt the Marshmallows. Add the marshmallows to the melted butter and stir until they’re completely melted.
Step 3: Add the Cereal and Mix-Ins. Pour the chocolate cereal in to the marshmallow mixture, and stir to combine. Then, stir in the chocolate chips.
Step 4: Spread in Pan. Spread your mixture into a greased and lined 9×9 or 8×8 pan. Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top. Let set up for 30 minutes or until the chocolate is set before digging in.
Serving + Storing this Chocolate Crispy Treats Recipe:
Let the chocolate marshmallow treats set up for about 30 minutes to 1 hour before slicing and serving. You can speed this up in the fridge if desired, but they’ll have a more gooey texture if you let them sit at room temperature. Store sliced treats in an airtight container at room temperature for 4-5 days. This will keep them from drying out better than simply covering with plastic wrap or foil will.
Expert Success Tips:
- Melt the Marshmallows – Make sure to melt the marshmallows all the way, so you can no longer see any individual marshmallow pieces outlined in the pot.
- Buttered Spatula – Use a buttered spatula (or give it a quick spritz with nonstick spray) to easily press the treats into your pan without making a mess.
Yes, you can double it and use a 9×13 pan.
Yes! You can halve it and use a loaf pan.
Yes! See recommendations in the recipe substitutions area towards the beginning of the post.
- Other Cereals – See options for other cereals in the recipe substitutions section at the beginning of this post.
- Chocolate Chips – Try milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips, if that’s your preference. Use mini chocolate chips, if you have some you need to use up. You can also melt some chocolate and dunk a corner of each rice krispie square in it, or drizzle melted chocolate over the tops of the bars.
- Microwave Directions – If you’re a college student or don’t have access to a stovetop, you can make this in the microwave! Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl – you can still brown it if desired, by microwaving in 30 second bursts, for 3 to 6 minutes total. Then, add the marshmallows and microwave on high for 1 minute, remove and stir, then microwave for 1-2 more 30 second bursts, stirring between each, until marshmallows are fully melted into the butter. Proceed with the recipe as directed!
- 9×9 Pan – A ceramic or metal 9×9 square pan is ideal for this recipe.
- Dutch Oven – A dutch oven is the workhorse of the kitchen! I use mine multiple times a week for baking and cooking.
More Rice Krispie Treats to Love:
More No-Bake Desserts to Try:
- No-Bake Cookie Dough Bites
- No-Bake Black Forest Pie
- Amazing No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- No-Bake Nutella Tart
- Mini No-Bake Apple Pie Cheesecakes
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo and leave a comment!
Brown Butter Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp salted butter 198 grams
- 4 and 1/2 cups + 1/2 cup extra mini marshmallows This is almost a full 10-ounce bag – 234 grams, plus 26 grans
- 4 and 1/2 cups cocoa krispies cereal 184 grams
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Prep: Spray a 9×9 baking dish with cooking spray and/or line with parchment paper. Get all your ingredients out.
- Make the Chocolate Krispie Treats: Add the butter to a large dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking the butter over medium-low heat, stirring lazily. The butter will get bubbly, then turn golden, then start to foam and turn brown and develop a nutty, caramely aroma. Once it reaches a deep golden color (about 5 mins), add 4 and 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows, and stir until they are completely melted into the butter. Stir in the vanilla & salt. Immediately add the cereal, and stir until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips, and the last 1/2 cup of mallows, letting them get melty. Press into your prepared pan. Let rest 1 hour before slicing and serving.
- Serve + Store: Slice into squares and enjoy! You can speed up the setting time with these by popping them in the fridge for 15-20 minutes, but I prefer mine at room temp.