Christmas Puppy Chow is made with chex cereal, mini pretzels, and macadamia nuts all coated in creamy white chocolate, crushed candy cane pieces, and powdered sugar. It’s the easiest no-bake treat for the holiday season!
Why you’ll love this Christmas Puppy Chow:
- Peppermint White Chocolate Puppy Chow – This delicious treat is perfect for white chocolate lovers. It’s got white chocolate and peppermint in every bite – and it’s even better than reindeer food!
- Crunch Factor – The mini pretzels and macadamia nuts add extra crunch to this puppy chow, making it the perfect treat for crunch lovers, and salty sweet snack mix lovers.
- No-Bake Holiday Treat – This easy recipe is no bake, and uses simple ingredients, making it a complete breeze during holiday baking season.
- White Chocolate – Use melting wafers or baker’s bars rather than chocolate chips, as they melt easier and work better for recipes like this.
- Candy Canes – Use crushed mini or large candy canes.
- Chex – Use corn or rice chex, or a mixture of both.
- Pretzels – Use mini twists or mini sticks.
- Dairy-free – Use dairy-free chocolate.
- Gluten-free – Use gluten-free pretzels and gluten-free chex.
- Nut Free – Omit the nuts if needed.
How to Make this Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe Step-by-Step:
Step 1: Melt the White Chocolate. Melt white chocolate in a large bowl in 20 second intervals, stirring between each until completely smooth.
Step 2: Add the Mix-Ins. Add the chex, pretzels, macadamia nuts, and candy cane pieces. Stir until everything is combined and coated in the white chocolate.
Step 3: Add Powdered Sugar. Add this puppy chow mixture to a large plastic bag or a large container with a lid. Add the powdered sugar, secure the bag or the lid, and shake to coat everything. Sprinkle extra crushed candy canes and macadamia nuts over the coated cereal, and enjoy!
Enjoy immediately! No need to lay it out on parchment paper or a cookie sheet – it sets up pretty quickly! This Christmas Puppy Chow recipe is incredibly delicious, and is always a hit at christmas parties. It also makes a wonderful homemade gift. Simply box or bag it up in a festive bag, add a label, and gift it! This is also a great treat to bring to holiday cookie exchanges at this time of year.
Expert Success Tips:
- Melting White Chocolate – Melt white chocolate gently, as it can seize up easier than regular chocolate. Use a double-boiler if desired, or be sure to do 20 second intervals in the microwave rather than 30, and when there are still some lumps left, use the residual heat in the bowl to melt the chocolate as you stir until it smooths out.
- Stir Gently – Stir things into the white chocolate gently, to avoid breaking the cereal pieces up too much.
Yes, absolutely! You can make it 1-2 days ahead and store in a tupperware container at room temperature. Or, make it up to 1 month ahead and freeze it. Enjoy from frozen – I hear it’s very good that way.
- Chocolate – Feel free to use semi-sweet chocolate of dark chocolate instead of the white, if desired.
- Mix-Ins – Customizing your mix ins is the best part of this fun treat! Try almonds, pecans, or cashews instead of macadamias if desired. M&ms would also be a great addition to this sweet treat! Add a splash of vanilla extract or peppermint extract to the white chocolate too.
Serving + Storing this Recipe:
Store this puppy chow in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 weeks or so, or in the fridge longer.
More Holiday Treats to Love:
- Bakery-Style Monster Cookies
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Bakery-Style Peanut Butter Chip Chocolate Cookies
- Key Lime Slice & Bake Cookies
- Blueberry Lemon Cookies
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Thumbprint Cookies
- Funfetti Cake Batter Cookies
- Cherry Pie Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo and leave a comment!
Peppermint White Chocolate Christmas Puppy Chow
- 5 and 1/2 cups corn chex
- 1 cup mini pretzel twists
- 16 ounces white chocolate, chopped Use melts or bakers bars, not white chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped optional
- 1 and 1/4 cups crushed candy canes
- 1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Melt the Chocolate: Melt the white chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl, in 20 second intervals, stirring between each until completely melted.
- Finish the Puppy Chow: Stir in the chex, pretzels, macadamia nuts, and candy cane pieces, until everything is combined and coated in the white chocolate. Add this mixture to a large ziploc bag or a large container with a lid. Add the powdered sugar, secure the bag or the lid, and shake to coat everything.
- Serve + Store: Serve with an extra sprinkle of crushed candy canes and macadamia nuts! Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 weeks or so.