Prepare to fall in love with these Salted Caramel Pretzel Brownies! Fudgy and rich, these brownies are studded with pools of melty salted caramel sauce and chunks of pretzels. Finish them off with extra caramel sauce and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt for utter dessert perfection!
I am LOVING creating Valentine’s Day desserts for you all! I hope you love them as much as I do. So far this year we’ve got:
Raspberry Chocolate Ganache Cake
Homemade Nutella Pop Tarts with Nutella Glaze
and now – these insane brownies! All it takes is one glance into those melty pools of salted caramel and you’ll be in love!
These brownies are soooo good straight from the oven while they’re still a little warm and melty, but they’re also fantastic once they’ve cooled (and they cut into neater slices this way, if that’s what you’re looking for).
How to Make Salted Caramel Pretzel Brownies:
First, mix up a simple caramel sauce – promise it’s simple! 3 ingredients, 10 minutes. Pour this sauce onto a plate lined with parchment and freeze while you make the brownie batter. Stir up some basic (but delicious) ingredients for the batter – melted chocolate, butter, flour, eggs, sugar. The usual suspects.
Chop up the frozen caramel sauce into chunks and stir into the brownie batter with some crushed pretzel pieces.
Spread the batter into a lined 8×8 pan and press some extra pieces of caramel on top. And then, bake!
As you can probably see, the brownies look a bit different in the photo above (right) where they just came out of the oven, versus the photos below. I added some extra caramel sauce on top of the spots where the caramel pieces were baked into the brownies. This is not necessary but it is SO, SO good.
And just look at that rich, fudgy texture! Swoon. Cut these into 9 or 16 or even more pieces to make the serving size go farther. Honestly though – my best piece of advice is to make two pans worth!! You’ll have a hard time sharing – trust me.
Happy Baking and Happy Valentine’s Day!
However you’re celebrating, I hope these brownies are part of your day!
Happy Baking and Happy Valentine’s Day!
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo and leave a comment!
Be sure to follow bluebowlrecipes on instagram and tag #bluebowlrecipes with your photo! You can also post a photo of your recipe to the bluebowlrecipes Facebook page. I’d love to see what you make!
Salted Caramel Pretzel Brownies
For the Salted Caramel
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 TBSP salted butter
- 3 TBSP heavy cream
- pinch flaky salt
For the Brownies
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate can sub 1 oz semi sweet
- 2 oz semi sweet chocolate
- 1 stick salted butter or unsalted, if that's what you prefer
- 3/4 cup granulated or cane sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp vanila
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup pretzel pieces
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 pan with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper.
- Make the Caramel: Add sugar to a small pot over medium heat. Stir constantly, breaking up chunks as needed. The sugar will seem to be doing nothing at first, but it will eventually melt completely. Cook, stirring, an additional minute or two if needed, until the liquid is a nice copper color. Reduce the heat slightly and add the butter - whisk in as best you can. Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the heavy cream. Return to heat and cook a minute more. Add a pinch of sea salt. Place a piece of parchment paper on a dinner plate and spray lightly with cooking spray. Pour on the caramel sauce. Freeze 30 minutes.
- Make the Brownies: Chop the chocolate. Add to a medium bowl with the butter and melt in 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until completely melted. Whisk in the sugars, then the eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt until just combined. Pull the caramel out of the freezer and cut into chunks. Reserve a handful for the top of the brownies. Add the rest to the brownie batter with the pretzels and stir in. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan, and scatter remaining caramel pieces on top.
- Bake: Bake for 31-33 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center will come out with moist crumbs, and will come out clean when inserted into the outside edge of the brownies.
- Serve + Store: Dig in right away or let brownies cool completely if you want to cut into neat squares. Store, tightly covered, in the fridge for up to 6 days.
- Optional Extra Caramel Sauce: I added extra caramel sauce on top of the little pools of caramel once the brownies were out of the oven. You can do this or skip it - totally up to you! Here's the recipe for my simple 10-minute caramel sauce.
Order my new book:
Leave a Reply