Meet the fluffiest Lemon Poppyseed Muffins! Made in one bowl, these muffins are tall with a crisp lemon zest and sugar studded lid. They’re soft and tender on the inside, full of flavor, and the optional glaze makes for a muffin that’s as beautiful as it is delicious.
These muffins are SO delicious! I think Grant and I each ate 4-5 the day I perfected the recipe, heh. They’re so good when they’re warm from the oven, with a slather of butter or with that 3-ingredient glaze on top!
The muffins are made in one bowl – as the title obviously indicates, haha – and there’s no mixer required! We start with melted butter and whisk in sugar, eggs, milk, lemon juice, vanilla, lemon zest, and sour cream. Then, we’ll stir in the dry ingredients – flour, salt, the usual suspects. Don’t forget about the poppyseeds!
Here’s a quick phone pic I snapped after re-testing these muffins – I decided to try adding fresh lemon zest to the tops along with a sprinkle of sugar before baking, and it was DELICIOUS! Make sure to fill the cups very full.
And, here are our baked muffins! (Minus the lemon zest, because I added that after I had already photographed these.) Look at those crisp, sugar-studded tops! SO good.
Enjoy them warm from the oven with a slather of salted butter, or mix up a simple glaze from lemon juice, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Drizzle that over the muffins for a really polished look!
And, dig in! I hope you love these as much as we do. Happy baking!
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo!
One-Bowl Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
For the Muffins
- 3/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup milk, at room temperature I used 2%
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp sour cream, at room temperature Use full-fat sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp + 1 tsp lemon zest About two large lemons + an extra lemon's zest for topping before baking
- 3 tbsp + 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp poppyseeds
- granulated sugar, for topping
- more lemon zest, for topping
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp milk
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Prep: Make sure you've let the sour cream, milk, and eggs come to room temp before beginning. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with muffin papers.
- Make the Muffins: Melt the butter in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the sugars and eggs. Then, add the milk, sour cream, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest and whisk to combine well. Add all the dry ingredients, and fold in with a spatula until just combined.
- Bake: Fill each muffin cavity quite full (see photos). Sprinkle a generous dusting of granulated sugar and a pinch of lemon zest on top of each muffin. Bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees F, then lower your oven temp to 350 degrees F, and bake for 12-14 more minutes. Pop the muffins out of the pan with a butter knife and let cool on a cooling rack, until they're cooled enough to handle, but still warm. (Or you can let them cool completely, if you prefer that.)
- Serve + Store: If using the glaze, whisk all glaze ingredients together and drizzle over muffins while they're warm. Or, serve warm with butter. These are best the first day, but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temp for a few days.
Order my new book: