Healthy Homemade Peanut Butter Cups are made with a few simple, real food ingredients – cocoa powder, coconut oil, maple syrup, and peanut butter! They come together in 10 minutes, and can be stored in the fridge or freezer for all your sweet tooth needs.
This recipe was originally published in April of 2018, but I just updated it with fresh photos!
How to make Homemade Peanut Butter Cups:
Start by whisking together melted coconut oil, cocoa powder, and real maple syrup.
Spoon this mixture into a mini muffin pan lined with muffin papers. Add a dollop of peanut butter to each muffin cavity. You can use whatever kind of peanut butter you like! I used creamy, but you could use crunchy, natural, or even another type of nut butter.
Top each dollop of peanut butter with chocolate, covering the peanut butter as best you can. Let the peanut butter cups chill in the fridge or freezer until set. That’s it! It’s such an incredibly easy recipe.
Be sure to top these with flaky sea salt – it’s the perfect compliment to the flavors here (in my opinion!). This is optional, though, so if you don’t like sea salt with your desserts, you can leave it off.
These little bites of chocolatey goodness are quicker and healthier than a traditional peanut butter cup, but still very delicious!
How to store Homemade Peanut Butter Cups:
Homemade peanut butter cups have quickly become my best friend – they’re great to keep in the freezer so you have a healthier snack on hand when the chocolate cravings hit. If you don’t want to keep them in the freezer, keep them in the fridge. Either option works just fine, but they will get melty if left at room temperature. And no need to worry about them being too frozen – they can be enjoyed directly from the freezer.
I hope you love these little treats as much as I do! This recipe does make 24 peanut butter cups, so sharing is an option – but certainly not a requirement. Heh.
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo and leave a comment below!
Be sure to follow bluebowlrecipes on instagram and tag @bluebowlrecipes with your photo – I’d love to see what you make! And, be sure to leave a comment + rating below if you make this recipe.
Healthy Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
- 2/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp real maple syrup
- 1/2 cup peanut butter Use any kind you like - I used creamy, but you can use natural, crunchy, etc.
- flaky sea salt, for topping optional
- Prep: Line a mini muffin tin with muffin papers.
- Mix up the Chocolate: Whisk together the melted coconut oil, cocoa powder, vanilla, and maple syrup. You can adjust the amount of cocoa powder and maple syrup to taste.
- Assemble the Peanut Butter Cups: Spoon 1 teaspoon of the chocolate mixture into the bottom of each of the muffin papers - it should coat the bottom nicely. Then, add a dollop of peanut butter to each cup. Top each one off with the remaining chocolate. Sprinkle with a little sea salt, if desired. Freeze until solid and enjoy!
- Chill: Pop these pans in the fridge or freezer until completely set.
- Serve + Store: Enjoy once set! These need to be stored in the fridge or freezer - they'll melt at room temp. They keep for weeks in the fridge or freezer.
Order my new book: