These mini Key Lime Rum Cheesecakes are made with a crisp graham cracker crust, the creamiest cheesecake base, flavored with key lime rum cream, lime juice, and lime zest, and topped with a boozy key lime whipped cream. This summer treat is light, refreshing, and full of incredible flavor! You won’t want to share – better make two batches!
This post is sponsored by our friends at Blue Chair Bay! All opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that make Blue Bowl possible.
Ok, I have to admit that I’m a recent convert to the Key Lime flavor fandom. Where has this stuff been all my life?! It’s so refreshing – perfect for those super hot summer days when most desserts seem too heavy. Speaking of a light dessert – Blue Chair Bay’s rum creams are all less than 99 calories per serving! So go ahead and indulge – you deserve it! Let’s walk through how to make these little bites of goodness.
Spoiler – they’re easy to make, so you’ll be turning to this recipe over and over again, all summer long!
How to Make Key Lime Rum Cheesecakes:
Mix up a simple crust of graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter – bake this for a few minutes while you prepare the filling!
First, cream your cream cheese, sugar, eggs, and sour cream together. My best tip for making any kind of cheesecake is not to overmix the batter – stop just after the ingredients are incorporated and not visible anymore. For flavor, we’re using Blue Chair Bay’s Key Lime Rum Cream – it’s so smooth and full of incredible flavor! I also added a dash of lime juice and lime zest. Stir that in and we’re ready to fill our cheesecake crusts and bake!
Add the batter to the prepared crusts, and top with a little extra lime zest. Bake these little desserts for about 20 minutes!
Once they’re done, let them cool completely. This makes a nice make-ahead dessert because at this point, you can pop them in the fridge once they’re cool for 1-2 days, and then add the whipped cream just before you’re ready to serve them.
We’re spiking the whipped cream here too – surprise, surprise! Heh. The Key Lime Rum Cream adds a refreshing, flavorful twist to classic whipped cream. I used powdered gelatin to stabilize my whipped cream, which makes it stiff enough to pipe. If you want to skip that step, you absolutely can! Just dollop the whipped cream on with a spoon – it’ll taste just as incredible.
This recipe makes 14 mini cheesecakes – but you can double it if you want to make more! If your dad is anything like mine, my Fried Chicken Sandwiches with Honey Mustard Sauce and these Key Lime Rum Cheesecakes would make the perfect Father’s Day Meal. We had a socially-distant picnic with my parents last weekend to celebrate Father’s Day and we all gobbled up these cheesecakes quick as can be!
I hope you’re able to safely celebrate Father’s Day with your dad or with anyone who’s a special Dad-figure in your life. And, even if you’re not able to get together, make and eat these cheesecakes in his honor! ❤️ To all the dads out there, Happy Father’s Day!
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo and leave a comment!
Be sure to follow bluebowlrecipes on instagram and tag #bluebowlrecipes with your photo! You can also post a photo of your recipe to the bluebowlrecipes Facebook page. I’d love to see what you make!
Key Lime Rum Cheesecakes with Whipped Cream
For the Crust
- 3 and 1/2 tbsp salted butter, melted
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tbsp granulated or cane sugar
For the Key Lime Rum Cheesecakes
- 11 ounces full fat cream cheese, at room temp use the kind that comes in a block
- 3/4 cup + 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temp
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp Blue Chair Bay Key Lime Rum Cream
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 3 tbsp key lime juice If using regular lime juice, add 1-2 tsp extra lime juice (to taste)
- 1/3 cup full-fat sour cream, at room temp
For the Whipped Cream
- 1 and 1/4 cups heavy cream, cold
- 2 tbsp Blue Chair Bay Key Lime Rum Cream
- 1 and 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp powdered sugar
If Piping Whipped Cream:
- 1/2 tsp powdered gelatin
- 2 tsp cold water
- Prep: First, make sure you've brought the eggs, sour cream, and cream cheese to room temp. If they're too cold, the batter will be lumpy. Let them sit out a bit before beginning. Line a muffin tin with muffin papers, and preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Make & Bake the Crust: Stir together the crust ingredients until well combined. Add about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of the crust mixture to each muffin liner. Press it in. Bake this for 5 minutes. Set aside while you make the cheesecake batter.
- Make the Key Lime Cheesecake Batter: In a large mixing bowl, cream the cream cheese for about 30 seconds. Add the sugar, and mix until just combined with the cream cheese. Add the eggs + vanilla and mix until just combined. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure everything is getting well mixed in. Add the sour cream, the key lime rum cream, lime zest, and lime juice and mix until just incorporated. Don't over mix the batter!
- Bake: Add 2 generous tablespoons of the batter to each of the baked crusts. Add a pinch of lime zest on top of each. Bake for 20-23 minutes. When they're done, the centers will have just the slightest jiggle, and a toothpick inserted into the center will have a very small amount of thick batter on it. Let the cheesecakes cool in the pan on a cooling rack. Once cool, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate while you prepare the whipped cream. Make Ahead Tip: You can chill the cheesecakes in the fridge for 1-2 days, until ready to serve. Don't add the whipped cream until you're ready to serve these.
- Make the Whipped Cream: Make sure your bowl and beaters are completely clean and dry, and don't take the cold ingredients out of the fridge until you're actually ready to measure them into the bowl. This will help ensure that your whipped cream turns out!If you're stabilizing the whipped cream so it's stiff enough to pipe, start by adding the gelatin and water to a small bowl. Swirl it around so the gelatin is covered by the water. Let sit 5 minutes - it'll be quite thick - then microwave for 5-6 seconds so it becomes liquid. Add the cold heavy cream and the remaining whipped cream ingredients to a bowl and begin beating on high speed. Once the mixture starts to thicken a bit, slowly stream in the gelatin and continue mixing. Mix until stiff peaks form when you turn off and lift the mixer straight up from the bowl.
- Serve + Store: Pipe whipped cream onto the cheesecakes, using a reusable piping bag and any large piping tip. Garnish with more lime zest, and dig in!Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Not that they'll last that long, hehe.
Order my new book:
Leave a Reply