Loaded peppermint brownies – I am sooooo ready to face plant into you ❤️
I bet you’re thinking um helloooo lady Christmas is over what’s with the Christmas dessert?! And I am here to tell you that peppermint deserves a place in our hearts and bellies throughout the whole winter season – not just at Christmas!
This was intended to be a super-simple brownie recipe that you could mix up, bake, and be eating in under an hour. That’s not what I ended up with. But, I ended up with something that’s absolutely entirely delicious, and completely worth a tiny bit of extra effort.
Funny thing, too – I used to NOT LIKE BROWNIES. Superrrr weird – I know. My brownie obsession began in college thanks to one of my lovely roommates (I’m looking at you, Stas! ❤️)
Brownie-making became a pretty regular thing in our house and thank goodness that we had 7 roommates to help us devour the never-ending batches of brownies!
Anyways – let’s talk about these brownies. I wanted to keep the traditional brownie flavor here so I didn’t add mint extract to the brownie batter. Buttt – you can totally do that if mint is your jam! If mint is not your thing, skip the peppermint candies altogether.
But don’t skip the extra chocolate on top 😉
Remember in my last post, easiest millionaire shortbread bars, how I said that I was working on some healthier recipes for January? This is that recipe.
Noo, no, I’m kidding. I promise, the “real food” recipes are coming. I’m just really enjoying baking for me now that the holidays are over so I’m leaning into that right now ❤️
I also would like to point out that you don’t need to be a cake-and-cookie-decorating rockstar professional to make something like this look pretty.
I certainly am not good at decorating baked goods but I can drizzle on the melted chocolate like nobody’s business – and so can you.
That’s what I love about desserts like this – delicious AND eye-catching without much effort.
Seriously – look how tall and thick these brownies are! YUM. YUM. YUM. Now go, and make.
And if you’re feeling up to it, share them with someone – but I wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t ❤️.
- 2 cups dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 sticks butter
- 4 eggs
- 1⅓ cups brown sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ⅔ cup flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Mini candy canes/peppermint candies
- White chocolate and dark chocolate (for decorating)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray an 8x8 pan with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the 2 cups of chopped dark chocolate and the butter (cut into cubes for easier melting) into a microwavable bowl and heat in 30 second intervals, whisking in between, until fully melted and smooth. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs until smooth. Add the sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate/butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking powder and gently stir in by hand until completely mixed.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, crush the peppermint candies in a food processor. The amount is totally up to you - I used about 15 mini candy canes.
- After the 25 minutes, remove brownies from the oven and sprinkle the crushed peppermint over the top and LIGHTLY press them in with a spatula. Return to the oven and bake for 22 more minutes. When they're done, the center will be mostly set and a toothpick inserted in the middle will have some gooey brownie crumbs on it (it shouldn't be liquid though).
- Let cool completely before decorating with the chocolate (let cool on the counter for a bit first, then cover with foil and refrigerate to speed things up)
- Add some chocolate shavings or melted chocolate to the top for decoration (I used white chocolate shavings and melted dark chocolate).