These chocolate cupcakes are rich, moist, and filled with gooey nutella. Top them with a swirl of creamy nutella frosting for the most irresistible dessert! Nutella lovers will flip over these delicious chocolate nutella cupcakes.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Moist Chocolate Cupcakes – These tender chocolate cupcakes come together in one bowl with no mixer needed, and have a rich chocolate flavor.
- Fluffy Nutella Buttercream – This frosting is ultra creamy thanks to a combo of cream cheese and butter, and is bursting with nutella flavor.
- Nutella Filling – Each cupcake is filled with a generous dollop of creamy nutella!
- Nutella – Use whatever brand of nutella you like – I’ve tried a few of the off-brand varieties and they are great options.
- Salted Butter – I always use salted buter for the best flavor, but feel free to use unsalted if you prefer.
- Cake Flour – Cake flour keeps these cupcakes light and fluffy. I recommend using it for all cakes and cupcakes over all-purpose flour.
- Sour Cream – Use full fat sour cream for best results.
- Milk – I used 2% milk.
- Sour Cream – You can use full fat greek yogurt in place of the sour cream.
- Dairy-free – Use your favorite dairy-free butter, milk, and sour cream to keep these cupcakes dairy-free.
How to Make this Recipe Step-by-Step:
Step 1: Make the Cupcake Batter. Whisk together your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, and stir until just combined. You’ll have a runny batter.
Step 2: Bake the Cupcakes. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full and bake as directed in the recipe card below. Let the cupcake pan cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes or so, then remove the cupcakes and let them cool completely.
Step 3: Fill the Cupcakes. Once the cupcakes have cooled, use an apple corer or a teaspoon to remove the center, and fill each with a generous dollop of nutella.
Step 4: Make the Nutella Frosting. Cream together softened butter and cream cheese in a hand or stand mixer. Cream in the nutella. Mix in the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Pipe this onto the cooled cupcakes and dig in!
These cupcakes are a chocolate lover’s dream. Who can resist this combination of moist chocolate cupcakes, nutella filling, and creamy nutella frosting!?
Expert Success Tips:
- Don’t Over Mix – Don’t over mix the cake batter as it can make the cupcakes turn out a bit dense.
- Nutella Frosting – Be sure to cream the nutella in with the butter and cream cheese. If you add it after the powdered sugar the texture won’t be quite as creamy.
- Warm Cupcakes – Never frost warm cupcakes – the frosting will completely melt.
- Can I make these ahead? Yes, the cupcakes can be baked, cooled at room temperature, and stored in an airtight container for 1 day before decorating and serving. Frosting can also be made a day ahead and stored in the fridge. Let it sit out at room temperature for a bit to soften before using – give it a mix with your hand mixer to smooth it back out.
- Other Nut Butters – Don’t like nutella? Feel free to swap in peanut butter or your favorite nut butter for the filling and frosting.
- Vanilla Nutella Cupcakes – Use a vanilla cupcake base if you prefer vanilla cupcakes.
Serving + Storing this Recipe:
Store cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Let come to room temp a bit before serving as the frosting will be quite solid.
- Piping Tip – I used an Ateco Open Star #849 piping tip for these cupcakes.
- Piping Bag – I like to use a reusable piping bag like this one.
More of my Best Cupcakes:
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Brown Butter Frosting
- Peach Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Maple Bacon Cupcakes
- Samoa Cupcakes
- Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes
More Nutella Recipes:
- Deep Dish Nutella Dessert Pizza
- Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups
- Nutella Pop Tarts
- No-Bake Nutella Tart
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo and leave a comment!
Nutella Filled Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting
For the Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 and 1/2 cups cake flour, spooned + leveled 175 grams
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- 3/4 cup full-fat sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp milk, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
For the Nutella Filling
- 1 26 ounce jar nutella
For the Nutella Frosting
- 1 and 1/2 cups salted butter, softened at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 cups nutella
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1-2 tbsp heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- Prep: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake liners in your cupcake tin.
- Make the Cupcake Batter: Whisk together all the dry ingredients (including the sugars) in a large mixing bowl. Next, add the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. The batter will be runny. Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake: Bake your cupcakes for 14-16 minutes. The tops will be set and will lightly spring back when gently poked, and a toothpick inserted into the middle will come out with moist crumbs – not wet batter.Let cupcakes cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes or so, then use a butter knife to gently pop them out to cool on the rack completely.
- Fill the Cupcakes: Use a teaspoon to core out the center of each cooled cupcake, and fill with a generous dollop of nutella (2 tsp or so).
- Make the Nutella Frosting: Cream butter and cream cheese together in a large mixing bowl for 2-3 minutes, until well combined and very creamy. Mix in the nutella. Add the powdered sugar, 2 cups at a time, mixing until well combined. Add the vanilla, cocoa powder, heavy cream, and pinch of salt and mix until combined.
- Frost the Cupcakes: Frost the Cupcakes: Use a piping bag and piping tip, or an offset spatula or butter knife to frost your cupcakes. I used an Ateco 849 tip to create the large swirls pictured here.
- Serve + Store: Enjoy immediately! Store cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge. These are best within the first 2-3 days.