One Pan dinners are the best! No need to turn on the stove, and no need to dirty lots of dishes! This dinner is made with fresh, crisp, garlicky asparagus, and lemon garlic chicken with fresh herbs. Summer dinner perfection!
I LOVE making one pan dinners. I do dishes SO MUCH during the day – comes with the job, right? So when we go to cook dinner, the least dishes involved, the better.
This one is made with so many fresh summer flavors! We’ve got lemon, asparagus, thyme, and garlic.
First, saute your asparagus until it’s crisp-tender. This is mostly a personal taste sort of thing, but I usually like to leave it a tad on the crisp side. Add a bit of lemon juice and garlic towards the end. Dump this into a bowl and set aside while you cook the chicken!
I used chicken thighs here – but you can use chicken breasts too! If you do, I recommend pounding them a bit thinner since sometimes they can be HUGE and it takes a while to get them cooked through on the stove top. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, garlic, lemon juice, oregano, and fresh thyme! You can, of course, use fresh oregano too – I just don’t happen to have any in my little herb garden (and by garden, I mean planters on our balcony) this year.
Mmmm look at that fresh, healthy pan of goodness! And you can be extra excited, knowing there’s a smaller-than-usual pile of dirty dishes waiting for you when you’re done eating your home-cooked meal, you Martha Stewart you.
Happy cooking! Tell me what your favorite summer dinner is – mine is currently this fresh situation – obviously!
Did you make this recipe? Snap a photo and leave a comment!
One Pan Lemon Garlic Chicken with Asparagus
- 2 lbs chicken thighs see notes if using chicken breast
- 2-3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP + 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 tsp oregano taste and add more if desired
- 1/2 to 1 tsp fresh thyme taste and add more if desired
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, rinsed
- Prep: Rinse and trim the ends (white parts) of the asparagus. Chop the stalks in to thirds or halves (go thirds if the stalks are thicker, halves if they're thinner). Mince your garlic, and juice the lemon. Trim the fat from your chicken.
- Cook the Asparagus: Heat a large (12 inch) cast iron pan over medium heat and add 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Add the asparagus, season with salt and pepper, and 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Cook, stirring, until crisp tender. Add one clove of minced garlic, and cook for a minute or two more. Scrape the asparagus onto a plate and set aside.
- Cook the Chicken: Scrape up any little garlic bits that are left in the bottom of the pan, so they don't burn. Add 1-2 tbsp olive oil and add the chicken. Season with salt, pepper, the oregano, fresh thyme, and 1 tsp of lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, flipping after a few minutes, until no longer pink in the middle. (Cut into one of the larger pieces to check).Add the other clove of garlic towards the end, cooking for 1-2 minutes more. I do this because garlic can burn easily.Add the asparagus back, stir everything together, and taste. Add more seasoning or lemon juice to taste.
- Serve + Store: Enjoy immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Order my new book: